MULTI AWARD WINNING EXTENSIVE ROOF GARDEN – 27,000M2
This project was commenced in 2011 and finished early 2012. The size of the roof gardens make it the largest green roof in the southern hemisphere.
Around 110,000 tube stocks of indigenous ground covers, sedges, lilies, succulents and nonwood shrubs were used.All species selected were native and indigenous to the area.
The design brief was to replicate what would have been growing there prior to human habitation. Being a coastal ecologically sensitive area the brief from the client was to minimize the visual impact of Australia’s largest municipal water treatment plant.
The quality of the design has been commended by the Victorian State Architects office, DSE and other government entities.
• 2013 The 10th IFLA APR Awards for Landscape Architecture, Award of Excellence, Landscape Planning Victorian Desalination Project Master Plan and Green Roof Research
• 2012 Green Roofs Australasia Design Award Victorian Desalination Project Green Roof
• 2012 AILA Victoria Awards, Research & Communication Victorian Desalination Project Green Roof
• 2016 AILA Victoria Infrastructure Award for Excellence for The Victorian Desalination Project & Ecological Reserve
• 2016 AILA National Award for Infrastructure Victorian Desalination Plant & Ecological Reserve
• 2017 Green Good Design Award for Infrastructure Victorian Desalination Project & Ecological Reserve